The health system in Spain has taken huge steps to convert the system in a valuable part of modern society and developing the service the system to provide the best possible care improving not only standard of living, but life expectancy throughout Spain. Spain has recently invested in new installation, such as equipment, hospitals and medical centres, with brand new constructions. The national health care system in Spain or “Seguridad Social” is available to the following people. • All Spanish citizens and residents This includes any person contributing in Spain with social integration, whether native or foreigner • European Union citizens As long as they present their EU insurance card within the Spain- EU law treaty • Non-European citizens As long as they form part of a legal treaty between Spain, then they should have documentation entitling them to use the services. The Spanish health care system forms part of taxation as it is those taxes that pay for the system to function and provide service; therefore, those who contribute to the Spanish system are eligible for the full use of the services. I terms of contributing, this means that you pay taxes in Spain, such as if you are working in Spain, then you are automatically allocated a national insurance number (Número de la Seguridad Social) which permits you to excess local amenities, like the doctors. If you are employed, then your employer will deduct your contribution depending on how much you earn. As it is assumed you are a resident you will then have to go on the land registry stating where you live and receive your Padrón. Once you have your Padrón, NIE number and residency and your social security number you can sign on at your local doctors. While EU and non-EU citizens are allowed to use the health care system while they visit Spain, it is just that, for small amounts of time where it is assumed they will only need excess to it in the case of an emergency, or suddenly. If it is for anything more permanent or if there is a need for a regular doctor, then you will need residency and a social security number. You will need the following papers to present at the medical centre to register with the local doctors. • NIE number and residency Allocated identification number and certificate proving permanent residency in Spain • Padrón Certificate from the town hall confirming your address in that area for public records • Social security number Number allocated allowing access to public services, and obtained through making social contributions, usually though employment, whether self-employed (in which case you make the contribution payments) or not.