Selling a house in Spain may be happening for several reasons whether a commercial or private sale. Whatever the reason it can be a stressful and worrying time, making sure it all goes through accordingly and in the end you are able to walk away from the property hassle free. Whether you intend to stay in Spain and move to other house or different area, or you have decided to leave all together you will still have to follow procedures making it a secure and legal transaction. It is strongly advisable that you incorporate a lawyer and most likely an accountant in to the process to assist with the sale avoiding any complications that may end up costing the sale. ABAD LAWYERS and ACCOUNTANTS are qualified at every level and stage of the selling process, with vast experience allowing us to provide a smooth sale of your property, whatever the nature of the property, whether commercial or private. Once you have made the decision to sell your home, business or land, you must then put the process in motion and begin preparing your property for potential buyers. It is best to have certain aspects ready from the very beginning simply because you never know how long it might take to sell and it may all be over very quick. If you are prepared with documentation ready to change hands this may improve the sale of the property. This is because like the seller the buyer will usually have legal representation that will check the property and the fewer faults found the better. The pre-sale checks and updates on your property that you should make are as followed. 1. The description of the property. This is all about the deeds. The deeds must be perfect and include a description of the construction and additional constructions on the property. This is in the case of you as sole owner making any modifications to the property, or many pervious owners having changed any aspect of the property. It should include modifications, extensions, or new construction. As long as the description and the measurements match the deeds, then the document is correct, if they do not match the deeds they will need to be amended. This description should not include interior details, but rather “built size”, or “superficie construida”. The distribution of the size is not always stated, and simply declaring it is enough. 2. Property in Catastro / Council tax and land registry. Council tax in Spain is also known as the IBI or SUMA, but they are all the same and refer to a tax to be paid on the house by the current owner. This tax is payable each and every year and can be split up in to smaller payment if applied for. The tax is based on the size of the property. However, you are issued the bill for not only owning the house, but also having the house properly registered with the land registry. The listing of a property in land registry is similar to the deed only it officially states you own it without dispute and gives a description of the properties past information, like owners and debt. It makes sure the property is in your name. This is not optional, as the council tax must be paid and is needed to sell your house, as proof that you have paid up to date and there are no outstanding debt attached to the property.